Valmascle

 

Valmascle mentioned for the first time in 1323, belonged to the Barony of Pézènes and Montesquieu under the Ancient Regime. Its name derives from the Occitan val mascla: rough valley.

DéplierLocalization

 The church of Valmascle - JPEG - 55.7 kb
The church of Valmascle
Crédit CC Clermontais

Valmascle gets its name from « Valle Masclâ » (1323) and has changed according to the times. Thus, in 1709 it was called « Valmesele » and in 1720 Saint-Pierre de Valmascle. The municipality was first registered in the canton of Octon, but later it became attached to that of Clermont.

In the past, its commerce was linked to charcoal ; the village was at the time peopled with peasants living off their orchards and olive trees. According to legend, Valmascle had been destroyed by a giant wild boar, which is why it is called VALMASCLE, valley of the male.

In 1759, several outbuildings became attached to it : the Combats, Mas Nouguier, Mas de Gascon, Mas de Lieutard, Mas de Rouet and de Liodres. Today these old farms make up a municipality with a varied landscape; some were dispersed and some of them isolated, as well as the village situated in the heart of the Boyne valley on the road leading to Cabrières. These composed landscapes, near the road to Bédarieux, have a vegetation characteristic of the limestone plateaus and the chestnut groves in the valley. They are witness to the ancient local rural economy, most of them gone by now.

To see

Church of Saint Pierre

The Mas de Rouet which is a wine-growing domain situated on a basaltic limestone plateau reaches an altitude of over 1300 feet and benefits from the sun all day long. Chardonnay, Merlot, Syrah, Grenache and Cinsault are the grape varieties that flourish in these sun-drenched lands. Link to wine tasting.

Pictures

The inside of the church of Valmascle - JPEG - 178.5 kb
The inside of the church of Valmascle

Crédit CC Clermontais

The church of Valmascle - JPEG - 322.6 kb
The church of Valmascle

Crédit ot Clermontais

The church of Valmascle - JPEG - 61.2 kb
The church of Valmascle

Crédit CC Clermontais

 

Outils