Liausson

 

The Celts who were the original inhabitants of Liausson installed themselves on the heights of what is now Mount Liausson, the « Ousse ».

DéplierLocalization

 The village of Liausson, between the lake and Mont Liausson - JPEG - 23.8 kb
The village of Liausson, between the lake and Mont Liausson
Crédit CC Clermontais

The feudal lords of Liausson had, for a long time, been dependant on the seigneury of Clermont l’Hérault and the Guilhem family. The most ancient written reference to “Laucion” the village dates from 1119.

In 1263 Berenger III of Guilhem, seigneur of Clermont, sold the Liausson seigneury to the Hospitaller commandery of Nébian. The village was built around an ancient chateau, which is today the village church. The plan of the village in a circle is reminiscent of the circular villages that were a kind of fortified town that appeared around the first century.

The fort, or church, was at the centre of this arrangement and generally on a promontory. The village people progressively grouped around these forts to protect themselves from enemies. At Liausson, two circles are in evidence, the first around the ancient chateau and the second serving as ramparts. These, to which the houses were stuck, had only very few openings. When the warring times were over, the village began to grow outside the walls and the houses became dispersed little by little .

The primitive church

Up until 1937 Liausson had two churches. A pre-Roman church (11th century) was situated at the entrance to the village by the cemetery. It was destroyed in 1937 as it was close to collapsing.

The church of Saint Felix

The existing church of Saint Félix in neo-Gothic style was built between 1858 and 1861. It has a Latin cross with only one nave of crossed ribs. The chancel is raised and lit-up with three bay windows. It has a copy of the Assumption done by Murillo, the 17th century Spanish painter, the original of which is in Rome. There are also paintings showing the 14 Stations of the Cross. The church bell at the entrance to the church dates from 1892 and is pulled manually by a rope. The stained glass windows were commissioned with money from donations given by families in the village. Visible through the framework are statues and stained glass windows dedicated to Saints (Teresa, Lucy…) or historic characters (Joan of Arc, Pope Leon 1X, Saint Louis).

Today this peaceful little village with 120 inhabitants in the Salagou valley, lives to the rhythm of tourism and wine growing. It is made up of two hamlets: the Grange Mountain built around an ancient 17th century farm, and, the Marguerite with the 17th century “chateau”.

To see

  • The fountain and the wash house
  • The village square and a panoramic view over the Lake Salagou
  • The 17th century church
  • The medieval roads
  • The Mount Liausson and the Hermitage Saint Jean

Liausson dominates the lake Salagou and is situated at the foot of Mount Liausson, an ideal place to do some really nice hiking. Numerous seasonal lets are at your disposal.

PDF - 864.1 kb
Download booklet: Liausson

Pictures

Liausson in the spring - JPEG - 152.5 kb
Liausson in the spring

Crédit OT du Clermontais

The nave of the church of Saint Félix de Liausson - JPEG - 99.2 kb
The nave of the church of Saint Félix de Liausson

Crédit OT du Clermontais

The village fountain - JPEG - 145.7 kb
The village fountain

Crédit OT du Clermontais

The hamlet of the Grand Montagne near Liausson - JPEG - 165.9 kb
The hamlet of the Grand Montagne near Liausson

Crédit OT du Clermontais

View of Liausson from the banks of the Salagou - JPEG - 205.7 kb
View of Liausson from the banks of the Salagou

Crédit CC Clermontais

The Liausson plain with the lake Salagou - JPEG - 178.6 kb
The Liausson plain with the lake Salagou

Crédit Fusioline

Vestige of the canals - JPEG - 225.3 kb
Vestige of the canals

Crédit OT du Clermontais

Little medieval road - JPEG - 167 kb
Little medieval road

Crédit OT du Clermontais

View of the village from Mont Liausson - JPEG - 118.9 kb
View of the village from Mont Liausson

Crédit OT du Clermontais

 

Outils