HomeVisiting and discoveringTowns and villagesNébian, the ancient commandery

Nébian, the ancient commandery

 

At the end of the 10th century a commandery was considered to be a villa, and then in 1038 a ‘castellum’. In 1160, Nébian became the property of the Guilhem family.

DéplierLocalization

 Old road of Nébian - JPEG - 18.8 kb
Old road of Nébian
Crédit Mairie Nébian

The history of Nébian is closely linked to the Order of the Hospitallers of Saint John of Jerusalem. The headquarters of a Commandery of Hospitallers from 1157 to 1392, the village, built right up against a calcareous hill and on the edge of a wine-growing plain, developed itself around its fortification and the Commandery.

The medieval, fortified city was built during, and because of, the 100 year war (14th to 15th century). It is a polygonal ensemble which originally had angled towers, a half tower and a tower with a porch overlooking the square and the existing fountain. All the walls had a "wall walk" still visible in places, and many houses that have preserved some of their original aspects. Another "wall walk" is partially visible around the second surrounding wall.

The house of Saint John which was the seat of a commandery became a simple house until 1792, then it was used as a presbytery. In spite of the religious wars which damaged it, the importance of its past prevails. You can still see a big vaulted room and a part of the surrounding wall and two sundials, one of which has been restored.

The little bedrooms

On the outskirts of the village, the garrigue that dominates Nébian to the north contains a well-structured complex of constructions in dry stone called the "little bedrooms" of Nebian.

To see

  • The Church of Saint Julian
  • The House of Saint John
  • The fortified village
  • The spring of Navis
  • The garrigue discovery circuit
PDF - 3.4 Mb
Download booklet: Nébian

Booklet on cultural heritage

PDF - 1.9 Mb
Nébian

Pictures

The « little bedrooms » of Nébian - JPEG - 128.3 kb
The « little bedrooms » of Nébian

Crédit OT du Clermontais

The church of Saint Julien at Nébian - JPEG - 109 kb
The church of Saint Julien at Nébian

Crédit OT du Clermontais

The ancient commandery hospitaller at Nébian - JPEG - 137.1 kb
The ancient commandery hospitaller at Nébian

Crédit OT du Clermontais

View over Nébian from the massif of the Ramasse - JPEG - 142.9 kb
View over Nébian from the massif of the Ramasse

Crédit OT du Clermontais

The chapel of Saint Jean de Lestinclières - JPEG - 167.5 kb
The chapel of Saint Jean de Lestinclières

Crédit Mairie Nébian

Gated entrance to the commandery of Nébian - JPEG - 138.5 kb
Gated entrance to the commandery of Nébian

Crédit CC Clermontais

Exterior facade of the church Saint Julien at Nébian - JPEG - 118.7 kb
Exterior facade of the church Saint Julien at Nébian

Crédit Mairie Nébian

Fountain on the Place de la Liberté - JPEG - 158.6 kb
Fountain on the Place de la Liberté

Crédit KELOUS

The Town Hall of Nébian - JPEG - 178.7 kb
The Town Hall of Nébian

Crédit Mairie Nébian

La Place de la Liberté at Nébian - JPEG - 162.6 kb
La Place de la Liberté at Nébian

Crédit Mairie Nébian

Gated doorway leading to the old château - JPEG - 129.6 kb
Gated doorway leading to the old château

Crédit KELOUS

Road and church of Saint Julien of Nébian - JPEG - 124.3 kb
Road and church of Saint Julien of Nébian

Crédit Mairie Nébian

Ancient fortified tower of Nébian - JPEG - 114.3 kb
Ancient fortified tower of Nébian

Crédit Mairie Nébian

House and ancient defence tower of Nébian - JPEG - 140 kb
House and ancient defence tower of Nébian

Crédit Mairie Nébian

Old medieval road - JPEG - 147.7 kb
Old medieval road

Crédit Mairie Nébian

 

Outils